- How do I make changes to my reservations?
- Do you have any age restrictions/ do you accept children?
- What is the difference between room types? Are there any rooms with ensuite bathrooms?
- Do you allow sharing of beds? Can we opt to add an additional bed in the rooms?
- How do I get to your hostel from the airport/ferry terminal/checkpoint?
- How do I get back to the airport/ferry terminal/checkpoint?
- What time can I check in?
- If I arrive in the wee hours, what do I do?
- How can I pay when I check in?
- Is the hostel located in a safe area?
- Can I book a bottom or top bunk?
- Can I check in early or check out late?
- Does the hostel have a parking area?
- Does the hostel have storage?
- Can I receive mail there?
- What is the maximum period of stay?
- Are there discounts for group stay?
1. How do I make changes to my reservations?
2. Do you have any age/nationality restrictions? Do you accept children?
To preserve the backpacker hostel’s atmosphere, we do not accept minors below the age of 16 years old. Each teenage guest between age of 16 – 18 years old will need to be accompanied by at least one adult. Guests who do not observe these terms and conditions of booking will be turned away without refunds.
We have no nationality restrictions, but we do not encourage locals (Singaporeans)/PRs to have extended ‘staycations’ with us as our hostel is meant for foreign travelers.
Please note that for non-Singaporeans, a foreign passport will be required for verification upon check-in, else bookings are subject to cancellation. In addition, any deposits paid to the hostel may be deemed forfeited.
3. What is the difference between room types? Are there any rooms with ensuite bathrooms?
We have 6, 8, and 10 bed mixed dorms, a female only floor with 4, 6, and 8 bed female only dorms, and 6 private rooms. All our rooms share the communal (shared) bathroom and toilet facilities. We do not have ensuite rooms/dorms. For pictures of our rooms and facilities, please go to Our Rooms page.
Please note that our mixed dorms may have both male and female occupants. If you are a female traveller and would like to share the room with other female travellers, then please book a dorm on our female only floor.
4. Do you allow sharing of beds? Can we opt to add an additional bed in the rooms?
We apologize but our policy does not allow for sharing of beds (please note that even children are not allowed to share beds because we do not accept minors under the age of 16 – refer to question 2 above). Due to space constraints, we do not have the facility available to provide additional beds in all room types.
4. How do I get to your hostel from the airport/ferry terminal/checkpoint?
There are several ways to get to Five Stones Hostel, the most popular being via MRT (Singapore’s network of trains) which will cost approximately $2.20SGD dollars per person. For directions via MRT or local bus, you may refer to our location link here. Alternatively, you may also contact us.
5. How do I get back to the airport/ferry terminal/checkpoint?
You can choose to return to the airport via MRT, taxi or by Changi Airport shuttle service. Taxis to the airport will cost about $25-$35 depending on peak period surcharges and take about 25-40 mins, depending on the traffic conditions. You may also use gothere.sg to find directions and travel times to your destination. Enquire with our reception for more details.
6. What time can I check in?
Check in time at Five Stones Hostel is 3:00 PM, or later. Our reception is open 24 hours so you are free to check in anytime after 3:00 PM. If you reach our hostel before 3:00 PM, feel free to drop off your bags with us and come back to check-in after 3:00 PM.
We will only hold your rooms for 3 hours after the stated time of arrival, after which we will release it for bookings and walk-in customers.
7. If I arrive in the wee hours, what do I do?
If you are arriving past midnight, you are required to book for the night before (e.g: if your flight lands into Singapore at 1:00am on 05 April, you will need to book for 04 April too).
Where possible, we ask guests to check in before 10:00 PM or after 8:00 AM as other guests who are sleeping in the same dorm may be disturbed by your arrival.
8. How can I pay when I check in?
Our policy is to collect full payment for you stay when you check in, we will not check in guests who are unable to pay. Of course payment is expected in Singapore dollars. In addition, a S$20 fully refundable key card deposit will be collected. We prefer to accept payment in cash in order to minimise transactions costs for our guests.
However, if you prefer to pay by card instead, we accept both credit and debit cards (VISA, Mastercard and Amex only). All credit card transactions (apart from deposits paid during reservation via our website’s booking portal) are subjected to a 5% bank surcharge.
There are plenty of cash machines (ATMs) at MRT stations and at the airport, so you will have no difficulties securing cash for payment. In fact, there are several at the Bugis MRT close to Five Stones Hostel. The nearby Keypoint building (371 Beach Road) also has ATMs available.
A money changer is located in Bugis Junction Mall, Level 1, next to the TOP shop.
9. Is the hostel located in a safe area?
Singapore is a very safe country and our hostel is located in Arab Street in the centre of Singapore. Travellers will find Singapore to be a friendly safe place to stay.
10. Can I book a bottom or top bunk?
11. Can I check in early or check out late?
Our standard check in time is 3:oo PM and our checkout time is at 12:oo noon. For dorms we can generally check you in earlier if you do not mind that housekeepers have not come through yet, as they make their way through each room throughout the day. We do have storage spaces for early check in guests, so you can leave your bags with us and go off to enjoy the day.
While our reception is open 24 hours, where possible we ask guests to check in before 10:oo PM or after 8:ooam, as other guests who are sleeping in the same dorm may be disturbed by your arrival.
12. Does the hostel have a parking area?
We do not have parking at our premises, however there is street parking 2 mins away at Sultan’s Gate and the front desk can assist you with directions. Parking rates are approximately S$1.00 per 1/2 hour on weekdays.
13. Does the hostel provide luggage storage?
Yes, we do help our guests store their luggage before they check in or after they checkout. However, as our reception is only open from 8:ooam to 10:oopm, no overnight luggage storage is provided and all stored luggage has to be collected by 9:oopm every day.
14. Can I receive mail at your hostel?
Yes, you can receive mail at our address and we hold mail for 30 days. Please do inform us by email in advance. Do note that only normal mail is allowed and bulky packages will not be kept.
15. What is the maximum period of stay?
16. Are there discounts/deals for group stay?
If you are travelling in large groups and would like to book our entire dorm room or multiple rooms for privacy, do email us the age range of your travel party and the length of stay. Please note we do not accept minors below 16 years old at the hostel and each teenage guest between the age of 16 – 18 years old will need to be accompanied by at least one adult.
We try our best to ensure that groups who have booked out an entire room to themselves (e.g: 8 beds in the 8 bed mixed dorm) are placed together in the same room. However, due to circumstances beyond our control, this may not always be possible. We apologize for any inconvenience caused and we seek your understanding in this matter.
Please note that we consider group bookings on a case by case basis. To secure group bookings, reservation deposits of 10%-50% are required. We are unable to hold bookings without reservation deposits. Please do not proceed with large group bookings over 10 pax without emailing us first in case of issues with automatic room allocations.